What is depression?
It is normal for anyone to feel low or sad sometimes, but if those feelings last for a few weeks or longer and interfere with your every day functioning, you may have depression. Sometimes there are reasons for becoming depressed – breakdown of a relationship, a death or even the birth of a child, but sometimes there is no clear reason. Either way these feelings can get really severe and you will need help.
The sort of symptoms you might notice are:
- persistent low mood or sadness
- lack of enjoyment in activities you liked before
- avoiding social interaction
- not being able to concentrate or remember
- feeling agitated or restless
- trouble falling or staying asleep
- little or excessive appetite
- no sex drive
- physical symptoms like headache or tummy pain
- thoughts of self harm or suicide